Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Making Christmas Part 2: Throw Christmas a Beating

When we last left our hero, that's me, I had a somewhat complete draft of the script. So, time to just fix a couple of lines, fill some plot holes, and send it off, right?

Wrong.

I had a story down on paper (well, digital paper) but it wasn't really the story I wanted to tell. I had most of the major scenes and ideas (what I call a “tent pole script”) but they didn’t gel together and a lot of the humor felt cheap. So how the hell did that happen?

Well, when I started this project, I had some self-imposed guidelines for the show:
1. Small Cast
2. Low Budget
3. Easy to produce (not a lot of special effects, fancy costumes, etc.)

I set these guidelines down because since I also happen to be the Artistic Director at the Overtime I knew that this show would have a shorter run and the theater would be coming off a big musical (D.O.A. I hope you saw it because it was pretty great). So, I wanted to end the year on relatively easy show.

As a rule, I don’t encourage setting any sort of guidelines or limitations this early in the process. I find it stifles creativity. However, sometimes they can help you focus and working around them can bring all sorts of new ideas. I tend to bring them in later down the line when the project has some shape to it. So, let’s see  how well I did at following my own guidelines

Looking at the first draft I had a cast of at least 12 (one of which was a child), 4 special costumes (2 cop uniforms, 2 Santa suits), over 10 audio segments which would have to be recorded and timed perfectly with the actors’ dialogue and movements, and props, props, props. Oh, so many props.

So, apparently, I don’t give a shit about my own guidelines. Way to go, Past James.

Aside from these technical issues, I was having issues with the story and the tone. Story-wise, it was a bit all over the place. I had a resolution the first act, a dues ex machina toward the end, and only three of the twelve characters had any sort of distinct voice. Tone-wise, it was also a bit all-over the place. The script would switch from goofy sit-com, to a family drama, to slapstick, to merciless revenage, to heart-warming romance at the drop of the hat. Now, some of you might be thinking that all the sounds pretty good and have a “this-show-has-everything” feeling. Usually, I have no problem with that at all (i.e. Dr. S) However, the problem was, the script would switch so fast that you never got a chance to absorb anything and it was just a mess.

  
Ernest Hemingway is reported to have said “the first draft of anything is shit”. There is some truth and solace to be had in that statement but he also wrote one of the most boring books I ever read,The Sun Also Rises, (to be fair, I’m only in the middle of it but it's slow going) and he blew his own head off, so I have some reservations about the man’s wisdom.

I had the idea early on of making a “christmas sitcom” because I wanted a comedy and sitcoms are great at one location stories. Now, this draft of the show could be produced but for it to work on any level would have it be an over-the-top sitcom parody. I’m talking about inserting a laugh track, reverting to stock character types than actual characters, and using every cheap gag in the book. It could work but I would have to sacrifice any drama, real human emotion, and themes that I wanted in the story.

I decided to send the script out to some friends for a fresh pair of eyes on it, telling them what I wanted and to give me there thoughts. Meanwhile, I strung up the script and threw it a beating. This where I go through and mercilessly hunt down any plot holes, fix bad dialogue, rearrange scenes, and break the whole thing down to see what is still left. Whatever is left is usually the strongest stuff in the script. The rest is either garbage or needs some extra parts to work with the rest. This is actually one of my favorite parts in the process because I’m good at script analysis (playing detective is always fun) and it preps me and the script for any notes we might receive. It’s the same idea behind any conditioning an athlete does: push yourself as hard as you can in training, so when game day arrives, you’re ready.

So, what were those notes? What got cut? What survived?

All that and more, next time.

Also, tonight was the first night I got to see the whole show. The actors are doing a phenomenal job. They've added so much more to their characters and humor to the show that I can't wait to steal credit for all of it and say it was my plan all along. 






Linkage:
Tickets for the show can be bought at The Overtime Theater's website
There is a Facebook event page for the show.
You can follow me on Twitter and use the hash-tag #MWTY for pictures, quotes, and other nano-bits about the show.


FUN FACT: In Mexico, wearing red underwear on New Year's Eve is said to bring new love in the upcoming year.


Next Time: "It's alive! It's alive!"

No comments:

Post a Comment